Saturday 16 January 2010

Tell Me Again Why I Need A Doctor…


Sometimes I wonder how the medical profession has really helped me.
Just a few examples although others exist.


1980 (December) - Just out of University and having found part-time employment in medical related research, I began experiencing severe and debilitating ‘attacks‘. Attacks so sudden and severe that at each episode (usually daily), I thought I was surely going to die. Doctors (at least 3) could not provide a diagnosis nor offer effective treatment. Various sedatives and tranquilizers were prescribed with no effect - the attacks continued. This went on for 5 years, until 1985 when I became aware of a particular prescription drug as well as a ‘source’ for it. Conducting my own experiment, I took the drug and almost immediately the attacks stopped. I approached my doctor about having the drug, a mild anti-depressant, prescribed legitimately to which he agreed. I never again experienced those ‘attacks’ which now the medical community refer to as “anxiety attacks”. Years later I find I no longer need the prescription but I lost five years of my life to a living hell in the interim. Thanks Doc…

2006 (April) - Severe back pain from what I believed was a sprained back (probably started that way). With my doctor having recently given up his practice, I had yet to find a new family physician. Went to a ‘Walk-In Clinic’ to see a doctor. No examination or tests, just received a prescription for an analgesic (pain pills) and a muscle relaxant. By the end of the month I became a paraplegic due to a Staphylococcal infection on the spinal cord. Thanks Doc…

2006 (May through December) - While in the hospital my left ear plugged up to where I was virtually deaf on that side. Pushing behind the earlobe where the eustachian tube runs all I could hear was a watery squishing sound. Three doctors over two institutions examined my ear with a otolaryngoscope declared me healthy. They found no problem although I continued to remain deaf. Months later, on my discharge from the hospital I obtained some cotton balls soaked in hydrogen peroxide and kept infusing the fluid into my ear. Within days large amounts of dark material began to ooze out of the ear canal and as it lessened, my hearing returned. Thanks Doc…

2007- present - severe burning neurogenic (nerve) pain from the injury sustained in 2006. Told by each doctor that nothing can be done to relieve this particular type of pain other than the ineffective drugs already taken. Told to live with it - nothing can be done. Thanks Doc…

Sciatic nerve pain from some muscle imbalance resulting from the same injury. Told by various doctors that nothing can be done. On describing the pain to one doctor, his response was to tell me in some detail about his own bout with sciatic nerve pain. That makes me feel better, thanks Doc…

Other than the doctor that slapped my ass when I came into this world, and perhaps the one who neurosurgeon who performed my back surgery(1) , I can’t think of how my health has been better by being in the care of these professionals.

* * *
Remember - out ever every graduating class of new doctors, someone finished at the bottom of their class. Doctors are human too and have all the frailties that the general population has.

(1) Still wonder why I could move my toes right after surgery but not later in my recovery.

Thanks Doc...

No comments: