Monday 25 May 2020

Government Scrimping on Wheelchair Seating


When I acquired my latest power wheelchair, the Quantum Q6, I requested a seat cushion, a GeoMatrix model which I had once used on a loner chair (while my Permobil was yet again nonoperational) and had found it fairly comfortable.  The cost of the wheelchair and seating combination was partially subsidized by the government's Assistive Devices Program (ADP).

I also purchased a second seat cushion identical to the one I had been using on the Permobil, a Prism Supreme II.  As the government subsidizes only one seat cushion per applicant, I paid for this one fully with my own funds.

I had found that a periodic change of seating contributes to comfort.  Regardless of the cushion's design or quality, prolonged sitting will inevitably result in discomfort.  One cushion may be superior to another in certain situations  

When I received the cushions I noticed my vendor only supplied one seat cover per cushion whereas when I received my seat cushions for my previous two chairs, they always came with a replacement seat cover.  Asking my vendor about this, they replied that the Assistive Devices Program no longer supplies a second seat cover for the seat cushion provided.  "Why?" I asked.  My vendor shrugged and told me the obvious, "In order to save money."  Unless the wheelchair user claims to be incontinent, which I am not, an alternate seat cover is not provided.


Through ADP, I previously received two seat covers per seat cushion so that the used cover could be swapped out for a fresh cover when the other is sent to the laundry.



From my vendor, I now understand that each cushion comes with only one seat cover.  So when the users seat cover becomes soiled for whatever reason (perspiration, spills, and yes, even accidents), one must transfer to some other surface and remain off the wheelchair for however long it takes for the soiled cover to be laundered.  (What if you do your own laundry at a laundromat?)

What a chintzy way of saving money!

Does one have to prove they urinate or defecate on their seats in order to get a second seat cover to use while the other is laundered.  Do you have to have an "accident" on command, or would a note from your healthcare provider suffice?

I suspect that even the most penurious, down & out homeless person has a second pair of britches they could put on while the first pair take a spin in a laundromat or rainwater barrel.



Even those television commercials hawking some product or another shout "But wait!  We'll even throw in this travel pouch to contain your widget, a thirty-dollar value, for free!!!"

There is nothing special about these cloth sacs which should warrant a premium price and therefore what savings could be realized in denying the disabled a second cover?

I'm unaware of other's experiences with seat cushion covers, but my seat covers, two at that, quickly show wear and tear simply form daily usage.  Seams separate, material shreds and zipper's snag.

Something of which I was unaware - ADP does subsidized the replacement of a seat cushion every two years (as opposed to five for wheelchairs).  How long this will continue is uncertain as my vendor revealed that they had heard the government's Assistive Devices Program may be terminated.  I wonder if this is the ultimate cost saving measure?  Would the program be replaced by another, or would the disabled be left high and dry to fend for themselves?  Who among us, even if employed, can afford a $10,00+ power chair every five years or so?  And which wheelchair vendor and repair facility could stay in business if the disabled are no longer able to obtain the mobility devices they need?

I have not confirmed these rumours with ADP itself.


Blake Medical's GeoMatrix seat consists honeycombed gel sheets of select densities.  While the gel itself doesn't breath, the pockets do offer some ventilation particularly when shifting.  A third gel cushion may be inserted for extra weight-bearing capability.  One thing I've noticed is that the gel "pockets" slump forward when going down a steep ramp and offers a sensation that one is sliding off the seat.

My GeoMatrix seat cushion was priced at $621.00 Canadian.

The seat cushion I bought outright (with my own funds) was the Prism Supreme II.  It consists of various density foam blocks, stacked and contoured.

My Prism Supreme II was priced at $459.99 Canadian.

I can buy a full-size living room sofa for the same price.  Somebody must be making a huge profit on these simple items.

I suspect that each cushion has been individually inspected, sat upon and blessed by the Minister of Heath and the prices charged support his/her six-figure salary.

*  *  *



No comments: