Wednesday 17 September 2008

Personal Parallel Bars

Personal Parallel Bars

With the arrival of September I found that I could stand unsupported. Prior to this I could only stand when my legs were 'blocked' or when in the KAFO (Knee Ankle Foot Orthotic) which held my knees rigid. If unsupported my knees could hyper-extend with great pain. Now I found that I could park my wheelchair in front of the kitchen sink, plant my feet on the floor between the chair and the sink cabinet and haul myself up to a standing position. There I'd wobble but stand free of the chair and the cabinet. Fighting to stay upright, the muscles slowly began to respond and tighten. Over a period of a couple months I became steadier. Realizing I could stand unsupported I tried walking at the parallel bars with the single AFO that I had and found I could do so. The second AFO was ordered at that time. Because I could walk at the parallel bars, I asked a friend of mine if he might find some way of building some parallel bars for me. I drew up some plans and e-mailed them off.

Unbelieveable! A short time later he arrives at my home with custom made parallel bars welded together, painted and attached to a carpeted floorboard. A number of friends and aquaintances contributed to the project and I can't thank them enough. Try as I might, they wouldn't accept payment for them.

So, now that I have parallel bars in my dining room, I can stretch out and practice walking on the days I don't have physiotherapy at the hospital. These have been a great help in my rehabilitation. Thanks so much Steve, and the others involved!!

1 comment:

Steven Rivera said...

vermact 12 mg is used to treat certain parasitic roundworm infections. Restoring parasitic infections assists with improving your satisfaction. In individuals with debilitated protection frameworks, relieving roundworm infections can diminish the danger of building up extreme or dangerous contamination. By and large, it is taken on an unfilled stomach.