Monday 4 September 2023

Disability Transportation

 As mentioned in the previous post, since my massive spasm episode in April of 2022, I suddenly lost the ability to step into our family van for trips away from home.

As such, I have been off my property only 13 times in the last 17 months, as of September 1, 2023, and all trips were by the local disability transport, and all were for medical, or related (pharmacy flu/Covid) appointments.

I have not left my home for entertainment, to shop, meet friends or to enjoy a meal at a restaurant.  Nada! 

Local disability vehicle

There lies another problem.  Perhaps it's the staffing shortage - the employment lethargy which appears to have resulted from Covid.  People no longer wish to return to work after the pandemic viral slowdown or downsizing.  Perhaps it's the manner of the job.  Their paycheck perhaps not compensating sufficiently for their stressful work.

Though not highly skilled work, it does demand a compassionate, tolerant, flexible and even-tempered worker, whether a driver or dispatcher.  Clients may miss scheduled rides with routes and timetables constantly juggled and readjusted.  Clients can be in pain, can be surly, exhibit anger and frustration; they may require special attention, etc., etc.  How do the hire and retain competent staff?

The earliest the local company allows me to book a ride is seven days in advance.  I had a MRI scheduled in a year's time and was unconcerned about getting a ride to the hospital.  Perhaps I would have recovered sufficiently to be able to again step into our family vehicle.  So the week finally approached and in the early morning of the seventh day before my MRI, I attempted to book a ride to the hospital.  No luck.  All booked up. Many clients have booked "permanent" rides such as those who have perpetually ongoing trips to dialysis clinics for weekly treatments.  Others have full-time jobs and have booked up daily trips into work and home again.  The slots are quickly filled up.

One bus driver told me that city hall has cut funding for disability transport even though the "boomers" are getting older and living longer with age related issues.  Perhaps the city councilors have no relatives needing assistance - or have no compassion.  Can funding really not be found?

Well, I did get a ride to my MRI by constantly selecting an earlier time period for ride to the hospital.  I found a slot two-hours before my appointment.  I would read a book while I wait.

Another time I was placed on a "wait list" to see if someone cancelled their trip in a time-slot closer to what I needed.  No one did.  One is faced with having to cancel long-standing appointments or to hire a private taxi at a substantially higher cost, to get one to where they have to be.  This adds significantly to one's stress.

At present, I have no alternative.  I'm grateful the service exists but it's inadequate.  I choose not to use it for frivolous trips - to shop or for entertainment, hopefully leaving the service for those who truly need it for medical concerns.





No comments: